1.06.2011

Welcome baby BOY!

So we had a bit of shocker the other morning...Peanut came out a BOY!  Please welcome...

Desmond James
Born 1/4/2011 @ 6:42am
6 lbs 15 oz
19.5 inches

We'll get a shot of him smiling one day but this was our favorite brand newborn photo. We'll be sure to post many more in the next few days as we get a little more settled in the midst of our homelessness. The movers officially took all of our house to Maryland and we are at the mercy of aunts, uncles, grandmas and grandpas for lodging. THANKS EVERYONE! 

And if you're interested in the birth story read on. If not stop here and check back for more pictures later...We had our due date check up on the morning of January 3rd. The doctor told me we could induce on Wednesday the 5th if I hadn't gone into labor by then.  So we ran some errands, ate some lunch, and came home and played Dance Dance Revolution one more time to get this baby here. It finally worked and around 5pm I started having some genuine contractions. By 7pm they were fairly strong and regular. By 9:30pm I was doubling over with pain so we decided to head to the hospital. Rob, Mom and myself eagerly grabbed our bags and headed out the door.  We got to the hospital around 10pm and decided to watch a movie to wait for the busy anesthesiologist. I was not enjoying the movie very much and am glad I had two hours to cement my resolution to never have a baby without an epidural. There was only one good thing about those two hours, the ice they give you is flavored with snow cone flavoring, so I ate basically five tigersblood snow cones until the epidural arrived. Around midnight I finally got my meds, and was a very happy and pleasant Anna once again. I dozed my way through the next four hours and another movie, until my water broke at 4am. That is an exceptionally strange sensation when you are more or less numb from the waist down. After that I was ready to have the baby by 4:30am. The nurse wanted me to wait another hour for the baby to slide down farther. So she called the doc who happened to already be busy at 5:30am, just like the anesthesiologist, so I sat for another hour waiting to meet our little one.  Doc finally showed up about an hour later and delivered our little...BOY. As he's coming out she says, "Oh good your baby has all of it's parts." I go, "Excuse me? What parts?". She holds up the little tyke and says, "It's a boy!," then looks at the shock on the nurses faces and says, "Was it supposed to be a girl?", and the whole room erupts in laughter.  God sure does have a sense of humor. It was an amazing experience. One I think I just may want to do again. We are so excited and happy to have a healthy little kid with "parts" finally at home with us. He is wonderful!

16 comments:

Rachel said...

Yea! I'm so happy he's here, what a great story! Hope you're all doing well.

The Robinsons said...

What a shocker! I can't believe that! We're so glad he's healthy. Can't wait to meet the little guy...who knows, maybe our little boys will be in the same 2nd grade class one day...

Jena said...

HAHAHA!!!! That is AWESOME!! I can't believe that that even happens anymore. What a great story though. He is a cutie and congrats on being a new mom!

Brittany Noelle Scott said...

Yea that's awesome anna and I'm secretly glad he's a boy because boys are so much fun!! I hope I can meet him sometime amidst your travels before you head out. Let me know when you're ready for visitors. :)

Laura said...

We love the name Desmond! You guys will have so much fun with a baby boy. Congratulations!

Megan McGrath said...

Congrats guys! He's precious! Lots of love from Indy - Meg

Emily said...

Congratulations again! I'm so excited for you guys and Desmond is so dang cute!

Emily said...

Congrats you two! From first appearances I think he looks just like Rob! Definitely a shock to have him be a boy but he is adorable and I am so glad he is finally here :) Now the fun begins right?

Rachel {La Familia Pearson} said...

Congratulations. That story about how he was born is hilarious. It will be a story you tell for generations.

Krista said...

What a fantastic surprise! Congrats, he is handsome and healthy, what more could you need.

Natalie said...

Congratulations! He is so adorable, I love that picture of him. I can't believe it was a boy!! I was so sure Mackenzie was going to come out a boy that it was the first thing I asked when she was born. I hope you have a swift recovery and enjoy those newborn moments that pass so fast

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

Sheena said...

Oh my goodness! He's adorable! I didn't know they could still get the gender wrong these days. I'm sure your happy either way. :-) Congratulations!

Sheena said...

*you're. Not YOUR. Yes, I'm a college grad.
:-)

Tara : Damon : Ellis : Hudson said...

i love that newborn picture!! he is so cute, i hope i get to see him one day!

J+S said...

Congratulations. You are an adorable little family and I can't wait to meet your little guy.

~Jenifer